Ludlow Hotel Fatality After Guest Contracts Legionnaires Disease

The Feathers hotel, Ludlow have closed its doors to the public after a guest dies after contracting legionnaires disease.  Another guest also fell ill after staying at the same hotel.  Tests have shown links between the legionella bacteria found in water samples front the hotel and the two guests.

Health bosses advised the immediate closure of the hotel, while improvements were being undertaken.  The hotel has written to all previous guests from the last two weeks, asking them to contact the hotel if they have experienced any symptoms of the disease.

Symptoms include flu like symptoms, such as:

  • Mild headaches
  • Muscle Pain
  • High Temperature (Fever)
  • Chills
  • Tiredness
  • Confusion

Once bacteria begin to infect your lungs, you may also experience:

  • a persistent cough– which is usually dry at first, but as the infection develops you may start coughing up phlegm or, rarely, blood
  • Shortness of breath
  • chest pains


Dr David Kirrage, consultant with PHE West Midlands Health Protection Team, said as soon as soon as the legionella bacteria was identified, the hotel’s affected rooms were closed, the water system disinfected and heating contractors employed to look at the boilers and pipework.

Legionella bacteria are usually found in sources of water, such as rivers and lakes, but sometimes find their way into artificial water supply systems.  Find out what your legal requirements are as property owner.